Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The joy of REAL tomatoes!

Happy SUMMER!  I know I haven't blogged here for ages, but yes...I still cook...a lot! 
 
This past Saturday we went over to the local Farmer's Market at Stearns Homestead, a farm smack dab in the middle of suburbia.  They host a Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings & the morning rain let up enough that by 11am, we headed out to see what they had.  It's a very small market...no musicians, no flower stands, but we were able to score some great stuff...like the tomatoes above. 
 
Now...the first thing I think of when I have real tomatoes that actually taste like real tomatoes is a BLT.  The tomatoes are so pretty when they're sliced...and I have to use Mom's tomato knife for this step...it's probably from the 1950s & cuts perfectly.
Then, of course...you need some of this...from a local butcher shop we discovered at the Farmer's Market...we bought some yummy brats from him there.  If you're in the Cleveland area, the shop is called The Fresh Eatery...check it out...great shop.  He makes his own sausages & bacon...and is super helpful & friendly. 
With some toast & lots of lettuce, I arrived at my final destination...behold the BLT!
Of course you need the frilly little sandwich picks to hold this together & the toast will still split when you cut your sandwich...but those picks make it taste sooooooooooooo much better...dontchathink? 
 
I guess the Farmer's Market is a Saturday destination for us through October...as long as it's not raining.  I'm not about to go stomp through mud for anything...I'm still a Southern CA girl at heart.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment